1. Today is designated by the United Nations as International Holocaust Remembrance Day. It is the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp in 1945 and honors the victims of the Nazi era.
2. It's a good time to fill 'er up! The streak of dropping prices for a gallon of self- serve regular gasoline in the Inland Empire was extended today to a 20th day, but barely, as it decreased one-tenth of a cent to $3.596. The average price in Riverside and San Bernardino counties has dropped 8.8 cents over the past 20 days, including six-tenths of a cent on Sunday, according to figures from the AAA and Oil Price Information Service. The average price is 2.6 cents less than one week ago, 3 cents lower than one month ago and 12.2 cents below what it was one year ago.
3. Coffee with the City, a chance for business owners and residents to get their questions answered, will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 28 at the Murrieta Chamber of Commerce offices, 25125 Madison Ave, Suite 108. Click here to read more about the event that is held on the last Tuesday of each month.
4. A red carpet affair is coming to Murrieta! The City of Murrieta’s Youth Advisory Committee will host its annual talent showcase; “Red Carpet Talent Showcase” on Saturday, March 15. The talent showcase is a chance for youth ages 5 through 18 to show off their skills in front of a live audience. Start your path to fame by turning in an application by the deadline of Feb. 21. Click here for more information.
5. Attention husbands, boyfriends and significant others: Valentine’s Day is just three weeks away. Now is a good time to think about gifts and make restaurant reservations. Don’t say you weren’t told!
—City News Service contributed to this report.