Pets who become involved in fires or other emergency situations in Murrieta will get an extra chance of survival thanks to a donation to the Murrieta Fire Department.
On Monday, the Fire Department will officially accept pet oxygen masks donated by a local veterinary hospital.
California Veterinary Specialists, 25100 Hancock Ave., Suite 116 in Murrieta, has purchased 33 pet oxygen masks from Pets America, a nonprofit organization who specializes in equipment and emergency treatment education for pets who are involved in disaster situations, according to a Fire Department news release.
The oxygen masks are compatible with local first-responders equipment, according to Matt Corelli, spokesperson for the Murrieta Fire Department.
The devices will be kept on Murrieta fire engines and will include small, medium, and large sizes, said Corelli, who serves as an engineer/paramedic.
Crews will be trained on the proper use of the masks through reading materials and a video, he said.
"The Murrieta Fire Department is grateful to receive these devices for use on animals that have been injured or need assistance," Corelli said. "It is not uncommon for firefighters to assist animals that have been involved in fires or have been injured in their emergency responses."
California Veterinary Specialists is a 24-hour specialty and emergency critical care hospital that has been providing emergency care and specialty services for animals in the Temecula Valley for nearly 10 years. It has 11 doctors and 42 staff members who specialize in multiple areas of pet care including emergency medicine, cardiology, surgery, internal medicine and cancer treatment.
Murrieta Fire Department officials will be on hand to accept the donation of masks during a ceremony and demonstration planned for 1 p.m. Monday at fire Station 2, 40060 California Oaks Road.
Currently more than 40 cities in the nation carry the equipment, said Murrieta fire Chief Matt Shobert.
"The MFD welcomes this new equipment addition," Shobert said. "In the past, we have experienced a handful of fires resulting in the deaths of a family’s pet and this equipment could make a big difference for our four-legged friends and 'family.'"