.

UPDATE: Murrieta Toddler Ate Marijuana Cookie, Police Say

A toddler who was rushed to the hospital after ingesting marijuana reportedly got into cookies baked by his grandmother, a medical marijuana patient.

Medical marijuana had been baked into a cookie, according to police.

The 3-year-old was rushed to the hospital Saturday after family members could not wake the child.

More details in the case revealed the THC oil was baked into cookies stored in a refrigerator in the garage, The Press-Enterprise reported.

The cookies were baked by the grandmother, a cancer patient who had a prescripton for medical marijuana, Murrieta police Sgt. Phil Gomez told the newspaper.

Police were awaiting toxicology reports to determine whether any child endangerment charges would be filed, the newspaper reported.

LBV Collins July 04, 2012 at 01:29 PM
I hope the child is okay. (I suspect he is.) Good thing this wasn't a prescribed medication like Oxycontin or Ambien. The results could have been deadly. (Note to self: Medical marijuana cookies help you sleep.)
Wildomar Resident July 05, 2012 at 04:10 PM
OK - So toddlers get into things they shouldn't, but explain to me how a 3-year old is wandering around in the garage (where the buds were allegedly stored in a fridge). This is one grandma that shouldn't be looking after her grandkids!
LBV Collins July 05, 2012 at 04:37 PM
I understand your point, WR, but I disagree... I don't hold the grandma solely responsible. I don't consider a three-year-old that can open doors, rifle a refrigerator for treats, and then zero in on grandma's secret stash of special cookies an innocent "toddler." To me, a toddler is, at best, a diaper-wearing two-year-old who doesn’t know what he’s doing and will test-taste ANYTHING; Cookies, garbage, bugs, dog treats, carpet lint… an open bottle of pills… anything that he can grab and shove into his mouth. But a three-year-old is a different animal altogether, capable of cognitively determining that he wants a tasty treat and then deciding to sneak into the garage and rummage through grandma’s fridge. (I wouldn’t be surprised if the three-year-old knew he was supposed to stay out of grandma’s garage refrigerator.) I suspect that grandma knows she should keep meds out of a child’s reach. But in grandma’s defense, I also suspect she thought she had.
Dirk Diggler July 05, 2012 at 04:54 PM
The movie Hall Pass gives a good visual description of the effects of a high on pot brownies.
Gina July 06, 2012 at 01:55 AM
Kids get into stuff... My middle son put a dsh washing tablet in his mouth and sufffered no ill effects... luckily. I have a three year old who will go great lengths to get popcicles and marshmellows. I don't think anyone should face charges in this case. Just because one chooses to use Marijuana as a form of medication, or a means to relax does not mean they are a 'crack head'... any more than a person who uses vicodin for pain, or someone who drinks a glass of wine to relax. I knew when I read this original story, the kid must have eaten a cookie or something of the sort. Instead it read at first as though the kid got into gramma's stash of kind kush while she was probably out front putting her washing machine in the yard next to the old chevy... in her trailer down by the river.
LBV Collins July 06, 2012 at 02:24 AM
LOLOLOL!!! (Right next to Matt Foley...)
Cookie mom July 06, 2012 at 06:01 AM
Whos the grandma and the child i have grandsons out that way when will the name be leased of the child and grandmother

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »