.

Power Outage Sparks Small Electrical Fire, Road Closure

Murrieta businesses and homes affected during Tuesday's outage were in the area of Los Alamos Road, Hancock Avenue and Las Brisas Road.

Jan. 21, 2014. Photo/Joe Fanaselle
Jan. 21, 2014. Photo/Joe Fanaselle

Power was restored to all but 36 Murrieta customers Tuesday night following an issue with an underground electrical cable that is believed to have sparked a small fire within a gas station and caused other complications.

The outage was reported at about 6:30 p.m. and affected at least 800 customers at one point during the evening, according to Nancy Rodriguez-Casanova, a spokeswoman for Southern California Edison.

Affected businesses and homes were in the area of Los Alamos Road, Hancock Avenue and Las Brisas Road.

A small electrical fire broke out inside the Mobil/Circle K gas station on Los Alamos Road, according to a Patch reporter who was on scene.

As of 8:45 p.m., 36 customers in an area bordered by Los Alamos Road and Florence Way remained without power, Rodriguez-Casanova wrote in an emailed response to Patch.

“There's a cable issue in one of our underground vaults,” Rodriguez-Casanova wrote. “Our crews are currently being dispatched to the area and an estimated time for power restoration is at least midnight.”

The Murrieta Fire Department was dispatched to the area when a resident of Waterstone Apartments reported a possible transformer explosion behind the strip mall where Sami's Liquor Store and the gas station are located.

As the engine crew noticed that electricity to the businesses was out, an employee of the gas station flagged down firefighters, according to Matt Corelli, spokesman for the Murrieta Fire Department.

The employee reported there was a strange smell inside of the business after two brief power interruptions, Corelli told Patch.

Crews donned breathing apparatus equipment and entered the business, discovering that a room to the rear of the building was charged with smoke and smelled of an electrical fire, he said.

They entered the room and discovered that the smoke was coming from a main electrical panel, which appeared to be short circuiting. Firefighters used a non-conductive tool to disconnect the power to the panel and render it safe, and verified that there was no fire, Corelli said.

The crew then began searching the area once again, looking for the source of the outage. They drove through the Waterstone Apartment complex, where they were flagged down by a resident who advised he saw what he described as an explosion consisting of a fireball and smoke, which had come from the other side of a wall along Las Brisas.

Firefighters checked the area that the witness led them to and discovered that the metal cover to an underground vault was dislodged, and that there was evidence of an explosion around the entrance to the vault, according to Corelli. 

SCE was called to the scene and firefighters, along with the assistance of the Murrieta Police Department closed the road to through traffic. The closure affected both directions of Las Brisas South, between Hancock and Sunrose Drive, as well as driveway leading to the strip mall.

Vehicles were turned around for several minutes until Edison crews arrived at the scene and shut the power completely down, causing the lights to go out throughout the neighborhoods off of Las Brisas.

The roadway was reopened shortly after 7:30 p.m.

—Maggie Avants and Joe Fanaselle contributed to this report.

Alek J Hidell January 22, 2014 at 05:06 AM
I've complained to the businesses there about a gas smell for weeks; Sami's got sued for disability access and that's what all the construction there is for. Sami's sellls a lot of cheap booze in those tiny bottles that litter the area--we should close those foreigners down...what a traffic bottleneck from the bums that buy from them...
Philip rivers January 22, 2014 at 09:00 AM
I felt like the purge..
Shelley Pettus Goodwin January 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Shameless plug: would be a good situation to use our battery backup generators (www.batterybackupguy.com)!
Ray ray January 22, 2014 at 01:24 PM
Why would you want to shut down a place that you are very familiar with. You know too much about that store. Sounds like you are a regular customer. Just saying...
M. Lee Davis January 22, 2014 at 01:31 PM
@Alek J. Hiddell, That's funny because I go to that gas station all the time and never have smelled anything unusual. I do agree with you about the shot bottles of alcohol. Those should be illegal. I live off of Las Brisas and Walnut creek and last year I would wake up to 2 vodka bottles a day left on the corner. I had to go to the police station on other business and told them about it. They said that they can't park a cruiser there until they catch the person drinking but suggested that I steak out the corner myself.
M. Lee Davis January 22, 2014 at 01:34 PM
BTW, @Alek, what does the gas smell have to do with this power outage. I'm sure the issues at the gas station ad maybe even the electrical vault was from power being restored. Sometime power restorations can cause power surges and overload circuits.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »