The Menifee Police Department Traffic Unit had a busy Friday night.
Deputies from the unit conducted a DUI/driver's license checkpoint beginning at 8 p.m. and lasting until 2 a.m. today. The checkpoint was set up at Newport Road and Laguna Vista Drive.
During the operation, deputies stopped drivers headed east on Newport Road. A total of 998 vehicles passed through the checkpoint, according to a report from sheriff's Sgt. Strang and Deputy Rabago. Of those vehicles, the two law enforcement officers reported that 80 were directed into the secondary inspection/evaluation area which resulted in the following:
- 9 drivers were given field sobriety tests
- 2 DUI-alcohol suspects were arrested
- 1 DUI-drug impaired suspect was arrested
- 3 felony arrest warrants were served
- 27 Drivers were cited/arrested for operating a vehicle unlicensed or while suspended/revoked
- 15 vehicles were towed
- 20 citations were issued
The checkpoint was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.