1. There is a Special Weather Statement forewarning of hot and dry weather, according to the National Weather Service. Otherwise, today is expected to be sunny with a high near 106. Tonight, expect clear skies and a low around 63.
REMINDER: Beat the heat by staying indoors and avoiding exercise or outdoor activities in the middle of the day. Wear loose fitting clothing, shield yourself from the sun and wear sunscreen. For those who need to cool down, the Murrieta Senior Center at 41717 Juniper St. is a designated cool center for Murrieta.
2. Every Monday for the month of October, elementary and middle school students in the Murrieta Valley Unified School District are on an early release schedule today and high schoolers have a late start. Parents, check your child's school website, as release times differ.
3. Here's what's for lunch today at elementary schools in the Murrieta Valley Unified School District: a bean and cheese burrito. Lunches are served with a fresh fruit/salad bar and a choice of juice or milk. Lunches average about 658 calories and 16.29 percent fat. To see middle and high school menus, click here.
4. Eat out cheaply and be entertained by aircraft landing and taking off at the French Valley Café, located at the French Valley Airport. Between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., kids eat free off the children's menu when an adult meal is purchased.
5. There are only two days left to get in on the city of Murrieta's Halloween Costume Exchange. Drop off your gently-used children's costumes to the Murrieta Senior Center, Murrieta Community Center or Murrieta City Hall through Tuesday, Oct. 2. Then return between 3 and 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6 for Shopping Day. (Drop off at Murrieta Senior Center to obtain a “ticket” to be able to shop early from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 6). Call 951-304-7275 for more information.