1. This Veterans Day expect patchy frost before 10 a.m., according to the National Weather Service. Otherwise, today will be sunny with a high near 66. Tonight, expect mostly clear skies and a low around 44.
2. Join the city of Murrieta for its 10th annual Veterans Day Parade, which starts at 1 p.m. Parade-goers can begin lining up at noon at the corner of Ivy Street and Washington Avenue in Historic Downtown Murrieta. To start the festivities a C-17 Flyover will take place. The parade route travels north on Washington to B Street, then east on B to Town Square Park, where the city's next memorial wall will be unveiled. Then enjoy Military displays and hot dogs. Don’t forget to wear red, white and blue!
3. All veterans and active-duty military eat free at Applebee’s on Veterans Day. All past and present military personnel may choose from seven different menu selections. Applebee’s opens at 10 a.m. at 24872 Madison Ave., Murrieta.
4. Head to Reading Cinemas at Cal Oaks for their “Forty Foot Films” movie night. On the agenda tonight: “Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961). In this film, a young New York socialite becomes interested in a young man who has moved into her apartment building. Programs include trivia and prizes. Tickets to each show are $7.50. Social hour begins at 6 p.m.; the films start at 6:30 p.m
5. According to the Department of Veteran Affairs, in November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed Nov. 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day with the following words: "To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…" The original concept for the celebration was for a day observed with parades and public meetings and a brief suspension of business beginning at 11 a.m. In 1938, it was changed to Veterans Day, a holiday dedicated to American veterans of all wars.