1. The sun will shine bright today, according to the National Weather Service. Today will be sunny with a high near 74. Tonight calls for mostly clear skies and a low around 39.
2. Parents are invited to a Family Math Night from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Avaxat Elementary, 24300 Las Brisas Road. Murrieta Valley Unified's Family Math Nights include eight different math activities for students to do with parents. Games range from place value to multiplication, addition and geometry.
3. Here's what's for lunch today at elementary schools in the Murrieta Valley Unified School District: a corn dog. Lunches are served with a fresh fruit/salad bar and a choice of juice or milk. Lunches average about 658 calories and 16.29 percent fat. To see middle and high school menus, click here.
4. It's Thursday and that means J. Carter's Tavern Grill is hosting Open Mic Night with Brett Cohen and the Luv Buckit. The event, featuring the local musicians in an open mic environment, runs from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. at 40365 Murrieta Hot Springs Road.
5. In the mood for jazz? Each Thursday at 7:30 p.m., a different group brings straight-ahead jazz to the intimate, acoustically-inspired space known as The Merc, 42051 Main St. in Old Town Temecula. Tickets are $15 per person and can be purchased at the box office.