1. There will be areas of frost after 10 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. Otherwise, today will be sunny with a high around 60. Tonight, there will be mostly clear skies and a low around 34.
2. Parents are invited to a Family Math Night that will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Rail Ranch Elementary, 25030 Via Santee. These special events will include eight different math activities for students to do with parents. Games range from place value to multiplication, addition and geometry.
3. Here's what's for lunch today at elementary schools in the Murrieta Valley Unified School District: bean and cheese burrito. Lunches are served with a fresh fruit/salad bar and a choice of juice or milk. Lunches average about 658 calories and 16.29 percent fat. To see middle and high school menus, click here.
4. Every Tuesday night at 7 p.m. the Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance hosts a Bingo Night that includes a progressive jackpot. Held at 28251 Clinton Keith Road, the buy-in is $15. Early bird play begins at 6:15 p.m. and doors open at 4 p.m.
5. Every week at 11 a.m. Reading Cinemas at Cal Oaks presents its "Crybaby Matinee." Relax and enjoy a movie without worrying about unexpected tantrums or feedings in the dark; they keep the lights dimmed and the sound volume down. Baby-changing tables and stroller valet are also provided for the convenience of our parents. Showing today: “The Impossible” (R).
BONUS TIP: Make plans now to attend the Murrieta Valley Unified School District Spelling Bee at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 30 in the multipurpose room at Thompson Middle School, 24040 Hayes Ave. The two top spellers in grades four through eight from each of the district’s eleven elementary schools and four middle schools will go head to head to win the honor of representing the district at the Riverside County Spelling Bee on March 20 at the Moreno Valley Conference and Recreation Center. The winner of last year’s Bee, Shruti Amin, won the Riverside County Spelling Bee and went on to compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee.