1. This Labor Day will be hot, according to the National Weather Service. Today is expected to be sunny with a high near 98. Tonight, expect mostly clear skies with a low around 68.
2. Today is Labor Day, a creation of the labor movement, and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country, according to the United States Department of Labor. It is celebrated in cities and towns across the United States with parades, picnics, barbecues, fireworks displays and other public gatherings. For many Americans also it represents the end of the summer.
3. Because of the holiday, schools, government offices and many local businesses will be closed. This includes the , the post office, banks, Murrieta City Hall and the Murrieta Senior Center. There will be no mail service; garbage pick-up will be delayed one day this week. Enjoy the holiday!
4. The city of Murrieta is now accepting applications for Community Development Block Grant for the 2013-2014 program year. The city is inviting all eligible non-profit organizations 501(c)(3) to submit applications. The application deadline is 5 p.m. Sept. 20. For more information, qualifying criteria and applications, click here.
5. The Democratic Club of Southwest Riverside County is having a grand opening and open house of their regional democratic headquarters, 40250 Murrieta Hot Springs Road, Ste. 103. Between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., enjoy lively discussions and tasty refreshments (while supplies last) with fellow Democrats. For more information, click here.