1. There is a 20 percent of showers before 11 a.m., according to the National Weather Service. Otherwise, today is expected to be partly sunny with a high near 90. Tonight, expect partly cloudy skies and a low around 65.
2. Elementary and middle school students in the Murrieta Valley Unified School District are on an early release schedule today and high schoolers will have a late start. Parents, check your child's school website, as release times differ. Motorists, beware of students walking and earlier-than-usual traffic near schools.
3. Here's what's for lunch today at elementary schools in the Murrieta Valley Unified School District: French bread pizza. Lunches are served with a fresh fruit/salad bar and a choice of juice or milk. Lunches average about 658 calories and 16.29 percent fat. To see middle and high school menus, click here.
4. Applications are being sought for spending Murrieta’s share of a federal grant aimed at providing services to lower income people with an information session beginning at 6 p.m. The meeting is to discuss the application process and procedures for allocating Murrieta’s share of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). The meeting will be held in the City Hall Council Chamber located at 1 Town Square. For more information, click here.
5. Students can improve their college test scores by participating in the SAT/ACT Combo Practice Test and Results Workshop hosted by the Murrieta Public Library and presented by Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions. This free practice test is the perfect opportunity for college-bound students to experience both tests. The practice tests will be given in the Library’s Community Room on Saturday, September 15, from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and on Tuesday, September 25 at 6 p.m., students and parents return to the Library to attend the follow-up SAT/ACT Results Workshop to receive the test scores. Kaplan will offer specific information about each test as well as provide strategies to improve test scores. Immediate registration is encouraged as space is limited to 40 students in grades 9 to 12. Online registration is required at www.kaptest.com/hsevents. For more information, click here.