1. It will be cooler today, according to the National Weather Service. It is expected to sunny with a high near 68. Tonight, expect partly cloudy skies with a low around 37.
2. is hosting a benefit tonight for the families of two recent Murrieta homicide victims. The city of Murrieta, Murrieta Chamber of Commerce and several area businesses are coming together to sponsor the "We Are Murrieta" from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at 40675 Murrieta Hot Springs Road. There is no cover charge. The evening will feature live music, along with raffle prizes to benefit Vanettes and Burke families. Attendees will also have an opportunity to make donations.
3. Here's what's for lunch today at elementary schools in the Murrieta Valley Unified School District: hamburger and SunChips. Lunches are served with a fresh fruit/salad bar and a choice of juice or milk. Lunches average about 658 calories and 16.29 percent fat. To see middle and high school menus, click here.
4. When the Vista Murrieta High School varsity boys basketball team plays Murrieta Valley tonight, it will not be just a regular league game. Players, parents and coaches are dedicating the game to help the Coaches Vs. Cancer organization, a nationwide collaboration between the American Cancer Society, the National Association of Basketball Coaches, their teams and local communities. The game—usually a big one because it is a cross-town rivalry—starts at 7 p.m. at Also playing today: freshman and junior varsity teams which begin at 3:30 and 5 p.m., respectively. Admission is $5. For sale will be memory stars; small stars are $2 and large ones are $5. White cancer ribbons will go for $1. The team is also auctioning off a ball that players from both teams will have signed. There will also be a 50/50 raffle, will all proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. Everyone is asked to wear white T-shirts to “wash out cancer."
Or, for those who can attend the girls' varsity basketball game at home against Vista Murrieta, that game will also be dedicated to the fight against cancer. All fans should wear pink for their "pink out" game. Tickets are $5 and the game starts at 7 p.m. There will be raffles, and the school is selling pink ribbon T-shirts to benefit research.
5. The Big Cheese Pizza Co. is hosting a fundraiser for Ricardo Guimaraes, owner of Gracie Temecula Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, located in Murrieta. Diagnosed with gastric carcinoma, Guimaraes underwent surgery in which three quarters of his stomach was removed. He is recovering now and we will be doing chemotherapy soon. Between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. tonight, 35 percent of all proceeds donated will go straight to the family. This event will also occur on Jan. 26.
BONUS TIP: Beginning this week, 26 Chick-fil-A restaurants throughout Southern California, , have opened reservation slots for thousands of customers to reserve a free breakfast entrée. Customers can go online to chick-filaforbreakfast.com to secure a date and time to redeem their free entrée. Reservations can now be made online for the giveaway, which will take place next week.