1. It will be a bit warmer, according to the National Weather Service. Otherwise, today expect sunny skies with a high around 73. Tonight, expect clear skies and a low of 46. A wind advisory remains in effect, forewarning of gusts as high as 30 mph.
2. The Seventh Annual Battle of the Badges Red Cross Blood Drive—a friendly competition among Southern California's local police and fire departments—is underway. The Murrieta Police Department encourages the community to give blood during a two-day event ending today between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. in the front parking lot of the Police Department at Two Town Square. Members of the public should make an appointment by visiting Redcrossblood.org. Participants will receive a Battle of the Badges T-shirt while supplies last. Donors must be at least 16 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. Parents or legal guardians must accompany 16-year-olds wishing to donate.
3. Here's what's for lunch today at elementary schools in the Murrieta Valley Unified School District: chicken burger. Lunches are served with a fresh fruit/salad bar and a choice of juice or milk. Lunches average about 658 calories and 16.29 percent fat. To see middle and high school menus, click here.
4. The governing board of the Murrieta Valley Unified School District will hold its regularly scheduled meeting at 7 p.m. at 41870 McAlby Court in Murrieta. Board members are expected to vote on a number of items, including revising the student year calendar. It is proposed that June 5-7 and June 10-11 be minimum days for high schools and middle schools, and June 7, 10-11 for elementary schools. Previously, June 10 and 11 were marked as possible budget reduction, non-student days.
5. This is the year! In 2013, make a difference by volunteering to become a shoulder to cry on for those in the local community affected by death, crime, fire, accidents, or other life-altering heartbreak. Trauma Intervention Programs of Southwest Riverside County invites residents to take part in a volunteer training program at 6 p.m. To qualify to be a TIP volunteer, applicants must graduate from the TIP Training Academy; pass a Department of Justice background check; have a working vehicle and current driver’s license, along with valid auto insurance; have an email account and a cell phone. TIP volunteers are required to sign up for three, 12-hour shifts per month. There is also a mandatory continuing education meeting each month. Once training is complete, volunteers serve TIP in Southwest Riverside County. The fee for training course supplies is $50 per person, due at orientation.
BONUS TIP: A Child's Attic, 24710 Washington Ave., offers a free Story and Music Time at 10:30 a.m. every Thursday morning. Bring the little ones and enjoy a fun interactive story time that incorporates music and actions for your child’s enjoyment.