1. Areas of frost are possible in Murrieta before 10 a.m.; otherwise, clear skies and a high around 61 are forecast, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, expect frost, partly cloudy skies and a low of 35.
2. California Highway Patrol Temecula Area and American Red Cross are partnering to host a blood drive from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at the local CHP office, 27685 Commerce Center Drive in Temecula. Donors will receive—while supplies last—a T-shirt, a coupon for an appetizer from Mimi's Cafe and two complimentary VIP tickets to the Laugh Factory. For more information, click here.
3. Head to Brunswick Cal Oaks Bowl, 40440 California Oaks Road, for some bowling fun. Cosmic Bowling takes place on Fridays and Saturdays late night, from midnight to 2 a.m. Enjoy music, laser lights, black lights, and glow-in-the-dark features all make Cosmic Bowling nights out of this world.
4. The Jan. 1, 2013 regularly scheduled meeting of the Murrieta City Council has been canceled, according to a public notice posted this week, in observance of the New Year's Day holiday.Council meetings are routinely held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month unless otherwise noted.
5. Each year the Murrieta High Schools’ Scholarship Foundation awards scholarships to outstanding college-bound Murrieta Valley Unified School District seniors and applications are now being accepted for 2013. Scholarships are presented by local merchants, school groups, organizations, and individuals in the amount of $250 or more. All senior students with a minimum cumulative overall grade point average of 3.5 at the end of the first semester who are planning to attend a two-year community college, four-year university, technical, trade, or a vocational school during the 2013-2014 academic year are eligible to apply. Scholarships are awarded based on the student’s academic achievement, accomplishments, community involvement and/or merit. For more information and an application, click here.