1. Mostly sunny skies were forecast for Christmas Day in Murrieta, according to the National Weather Service. The high temperature will be near 64. Tonight brings a 30 percent chance of rain and a low around 43.
2. Christmas is both a sacred religious holiday and a worldwide cultural and commercial phenomenon that has been celebrated throughout the world for more than 2,000 years, according to History.com. Christmas traditions vary, being both religious and secular in nature, the website states. Christians celebrate Christmas Day as the anniversary of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, a spiritual leader whose teachings form the basis of their religion. Popular customs include exchanging gifts, decorating Christmas trees, attending church, sharing meals with family and friends and, of course, waiting for Santa Claus to arrive. Dec. 25–Christmas Day–has been a federal holiday in the United States since 1870, according to the website. Read how Christmas is celebrated around the world by clicking here.
3. All city, county and federal government offices are closed today in observance of the holiday. Mail service will not run, and banks are also closed. Garbage pick up will be delayed one day this week due to the holiday. Grocery stores such as Stater Bros. are also closed, but some may observe partial holiday hours. Some drugstores may also be open or operating on limited hours. It is best to call stores ahead of time before venturing out. Restaurants such as Denny's and Jack in the Box are also open.
4. For those who observe today as a religious holiday, Promise Lutheran Church is holding a Christmas morning worship service at 10 a.m. at 25664 Madison Ave. in Murrieta. Or browse and find contact information for other churches in Murrieta by viewing our Directory Listings of Reglious Instituions.
5. Enjoy ice skating on Christmas Day in Old Town Temecula from noon to 10 p.m. at 41000 Main St. Families, friends and kids of all ages can enjoy some skating fun. The rink is open daily until Jan. 6. For more information such as admission prices, click here.